Our new Collector Showcase blog series aims to introduce our most active customers to the rest of our collector community through a list of 10 questions.
First up is Martin David Williams all the way from the UK.
You may recognize Martin’s photos from our Facebook page since he never fails to share his latest additions with us.
Let’s find out more about him.
1) How long have you been a scale model collector?
I gained an interest in the hobby about 7 years ago but started collecting seriously about 5 years ago by spending larger amounts on some big mining models.
2) Do you have a favorite scale?
My scale of choice is 1:50 and of course the 1:48 CCM models. I have always liked the 1:24 scale models but struggled for display space. I do have my name down for the upcoming Cat® D10T2, that looks like it will blow us away!
3) Do you prefer brass or die-cast scale models? Please explain why?
The brass models are just a little outside of my price range so die-cast is the material of choice for me. When painted and sat on a shelf I don’t really see much difference between a brass and die-cast model.
4) How did you first find out about Classic Construction Models?
I first heard of CCM through a friend who had a few in his collection. I was impressed by the build and quality over similar models on the market so I did some research into your brand and decided to dip my toe in and buy my first model.
5) When did you purchase your first CCM model and what was it?
I purchased my first CCM model in 2012 starting with the 385C Front Shovel. I have a soft spot for front shovels so figured this was a good starting point.
6) Are there any CCM models that are missing from your collection that you are still searching for?
7) Have you sold any of your CCM models in the past and later regretted it?
Yes, I could beat myself with a very large stick for selling my Cat® 390D LME. I had to sell this model to raise some cash to pay some bills and I regret it to this day.
8) What advice would you give a collector considering purchasing their first Classic Construction Model?
A friend of mine has recently started collecting CCM pieces, my advice was look past the price tag and think of it as an investment. You will never lose money on them and when you open that box you wont be disappointed, you’ll be glad you’ve done it and it will turn into and addiction. And it has!
9) What piece of machinery would you like to see CCM model in the future?
Difficult this one. For me I would like to see something a little different. I know these have been done but the underground mining loaders and dump trucks are nice machines that always catch my eye. I’d also like to see some quality Cat® tracked rock drill models, again something different.
10) Is there any way that other CCM collectors can view your collection or connect with you? (Instagram, Twitter, website, etc.?)
Apart from on here on Facebook I also launched a UK based Scale plant and construction Model forum www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk There was a lack of a forum for UK collectors away from Facebook. Not quite been going a year yet but there is some good content.
CCM would like to extend a big thank you to Martin for agreeing to participate in our first Collector Showcase. If you’d like to be considered next, simply send your 10 answers to us via Facebook message or email.
We look forward to highlighting more extraordinary collectors in the future!