Our Collector Showcase series is back to introduce some of our most active customers to the rest of our collector community! This month we had the opportunity to speak with Felipe de Moraes Russo from Brazil about his collection and how he got started, favorite scale and material, and even some advice for new collectors. Let’s look at Felipe’s collection and see what he had to say!
1) How long have you been a scale model collector?
I earned my first model, an ARPRA D8K, from my father when I was 4 years old, so I have been collecting models for 35 years.
2) Do you have a favorite scale?
Yes, my favorite scales are 1:48 and 1:50. I only collect models in this scale.
3) Do you prefer brass or die-cast scale models? Please explain why?
I prefer brass models because of the amount of detail, however, they are usually very expensive. For that reason, I have more die-cast models in my collection.
4) How did you first find out about Classic Construction Models?
I found some pictures of the Lima 2400B Dragline online around 1999. I thought that it was an amazing model and since then I have stayed up to date on CCM news.
5) When did you purchase your first CCM model and what was it?
My first CCM model was a TD40C with 3-shank ripper that I bought on eBay in 2005. After that, I got both versions of the 988 and have never stopped buying CCM models. Since my first one, I have tried to buy at least one of each CCM vintage Cat® model made in 1:48!
6) Are there any CCM models that are missing from your collection that you are still searching for?
Yes, I would like to find a Bucyrus-Erie 88-B Series I, but the price is usually high. Another model I am searching for is the old 777. The 777 is not very expensive, but I have spent all my money buying the D10’s and 650’s so now I must save up to get a 777!
7) Have you sold any of your CCM models in the past and later regretted it?
I have sold some of my modern Cat models such as the as the D9T and 385C. I hope that I never have to sell any of my vintage Cat models!!!
8) What advice would you give a collector considering purchasing their first Classic Construction Model?
If you are thinking about starting a Cat model collection, you can be sure that CCM models are the best relative to cost and detail. Now I’m selling my models from other makers to buy more from CCM!
9) What piece of machinery would you like to see CCM model in the future?
It is hard for me to decide on a specific model that I would like to see next because I love all the 70’s and 80’s era Cat machines. An “impossible” dream for me is to see the TEREX 70’s line, like a TS24. I would have a heart attack! Thinking in possibilities, I would love to see a Cat D8H or K series.
10) Is there any way that other CCM collectors can view your collection or connect with you? (Instagram, Twitter, website, etc.?)
They can find me on my Facebook page, I usually post my pictures and news there.
Many thanks to Felipe de Moraes Russo for continuing our Collector Showcase series. If you would like your collection to be featured in an upcoming Collector Showcase, please send us your answers to these questions via Facebook message!
We look forward to introducing you to more amazing CCM scale model enthusiasts soon!